I’ve decided to do a little something different than usual in this post. Since it’s a Free Dove challenge post, everything, of course, is available at the Free Dove. My outfit, however, is limited time, as it’s a January hunt gift. I’ll still discuss the outfit, and add in my usual discussion, but here’s the twist. I’m going to be pointing out three special items in this outfit that have the ability to be modified. I’m hopefully going to lead the readers step by step through the directions on how to make these pieces match this outfit, as well as teach the steps to apply it to all outfits. I’m going to try to keep my language simple, clear, and not rely on too much Second Life lingo as I remember feeling clueless when people and even guides blasted through the information without explaining these words. I’m going to save that for last, however, and get into the discussion of the outfit!
Marquess is one of the designers for the Free Dove Mini Hunt this month. If you search around the store for a little gold star you can find several in The Free Dove store and a few more at Marquess’s main store. You’ll need to wear your Free Dove group tag to snag these gifts, but The Free Dove group is FREE to join. Notice how these 3/4 lenght Harem pants are just barely sheer so that when I had a little firelight near one could see a sexy outline of my legs. The matching wrap top is also in the box! The “Malma Outfit Red” comes in several sizes:
- Fitmesh – XS-L
- Belleza – Freya, Isis, and Venus (plus shoes!)
- Maitreya (plus shoes!)
- Slink -Physique and Hourglass (plus shoes!)
- Tonic – Fine and Curvy
Just in case anyone couldn’t fit into the shoes included in the Malma Outfit, I’ve worn another pair that can be found in the shoe section of the store. There are actually 3 pairs in the box of “!MiH Shoes For the Free Dove” by Mutiny in Heaven, this red pair, a black, and a green. These include a pair for TMP (which Marquesse doesn’t have, but there is a TMP outfit in the outfit hunt prize), as well as Slink, and Maitreya. If you turn around from the shoe department and look through the casual dresses, you’ll find a set of dresses that are designed to match up with these shoes! However, since you can see these !MiH shoes in all of my other pictures, I’ve gone ahead and snapped on the shoes that Maquesse has paired with theMalma Outfit.
My hair is from Rezology. The “Boon” hairstyle is a full and thick French braid ending in a bun. This hair comes with a color HUD so that you can customize your preferred color. If you’re not familiar with using a HUD it’s really simple, just add it, instead of wear, and when it loads on your screen simply click for color choice.
There is one thing I love about having a Standard/Classic Second Life head. Unlike applier makeup, where there can only be one choice, with a classic head, you can use up to 5 different makeup tattoo layers to customize your look. Some really old viewers may not have the feature enabled, but it’s been years since it has been available, so if you’re not seeing it, make sure you’re running an up to date version. To stack tattoo layers, from your inventory right click them and choose to add because if you choose to wear you will replace what’s there with a new one instead of layering. This little lesson aside, I’m using the following makeup from the “Dulce Secrets 2017 Free Dove Collection”; “::DS:: Cherry Cute Blush”, “::DS:: Noble Hyssop Eyeshadow”, and “::DS:: Brass Kissable Lips Tattoo”, as well as the mesh pair of eyelashes and used the included black HUD for the lashes. All of this makeup is layered on top of my skin, which is “AG. Anna Skin – T1 – Black Eyebrows – Cleavage.” Since I have a mesh body and a standard head, I need to use both the system skin, that looks like a little man doing jumping jacks in the inventory and the omega applier version that comes in a HUD.
I also used a nail polish found the Dulce Secrets box. The nail polishes offered in this gift are only for Slink hands, so if you have standard or another mesh maker they won’t work for you. I opted for the ‘::DS:: All That Glitters Gold Tip Slink Nail HUD” and chose the cranberry color.
I always feel naked, even in Second Life without my eyeglasses. I’ve worn them since I was 8 years old, and being in my 40s, they are just a part of my face now. That said, I’m fairly sure I’ve checked inside all of the female gifts at The Free Dove, and have not found a pair of plain glasses in any. I did discover a way that I can modify several pairs of sunglasses of different frame types that are included in a special box of several outfits to create some. There is a gift in Casual Section of the store in a box named “Ydea All Gifts” that has over 30 mostly completely styled outfits, including accessories and shoes for many, even a couple of hairs. Several outfits are for system layers, so this is a nice box to pick up if you don’t yet have a mesh body, and also rather nice if you do, because of the mesh shoes and accessories, as well as a few mesh outfits. Now, inside one of the outfits; and in this case, I’m not sure which one it was, because of months ago, before I thought about blogging, much less being one for the Free Dove, I moved them to another folder so they’d be quick to find and named that folder glasses. Anyway, once you open the outfits, you’ll see that one outfit has some sunglasses simply named “White Sunglasses”, these are the ones I used. The following instructions will teach you how to customize different areas of an object, make areas transparent, and recolor them.
- These particular glasses are no copy, normally the first step in any modifying process is to make a copy of the item you are going to change and keep that in case of error. So in this case only proceed if you are sure you don’t want them as is.
- The second always-do step is to get onto a pose stand. If you don’t have one already, I know for certain that the jewelry set out by Glint has them.
- To modify these, I think the best option is to wear them, so click on them inside your inventory, right-click and choose “add”, just in case you have something else worn at the same attachment point. A quick way to find them is to use the search feature and put in White Sunglasses. Don’t close your inventory yet after adding them. This step should look like the picture below. They should now be on your face and bold within your inventory folder.
- Secondly, once they are on your face, and now bolded in your inventory, right-click them again and choose to Edit. This will pull up another window. On your face, they will now be highlighted yellow, and you’ll look like you have arrows coming out of your head in every direction.
- Now that you’re in the edit window, chose the tab that says texture in the middle area of the window, select the radio button for Select Face, and I find it easier to uncheck the box for Highlight so I can see clearly how my changes impact the object. The picture below shows all that I’ve chosen. At this point, if you’d like to keep them as sunglasses and not clear the lenses, skip ahead to step 7.
- Here’s where it starts to get a touch tricker. Zoom in on your face with the camera and click the area of the glasses that are the lenses, they will now be somehow marked, usually a circle on the face of the lenses, or a highlight along the edges if there’s not a large flat face. The highlight on mine is easy to see because they are already clear, but it’s not as clear when they are still shaded. However, the easiest way to tell you are in the right place, in this instance, is that the Texture box will no longer say “multiple textures,” and you’ll see a blue and white checked image with a couple of small white areas in the Texture box. I no longer have that texture, so I sadly can’t show you. Please note that going back to sunglasses at this point is not impossible, but it won’t have the reflective appearance as the original does, and is a bit trickier to pull off well.
- Next, click on the picture of the texture. It will load another window with options. Make double sure that it doesn’t say Multiple Textures in the window before you do anything, and if it does try again to select just the lenses, otherwise you’re about to make the whole thing invisible and it will be frustrating to fix. I know because I’ve done it! I am stubborn and self-taught, so I learned through my many errors!
- In the new window, you will see some buttons on the bottom middle-left, choose Transparent, this is available to everyone as a texture already in your inventory library. I’m showing a picture of what it should look like, and included my face so that you may see what the highlight looks like when I’ve selected the right area with Select Face on my already clear lenses. Repeat this step with the left lens as well. (oh and you don’t have to set the Transparenc % to 12, I think I did that accidentally, just ignore that option and all the others I’ve not mentioned.)
- Now you should have clear lenses. It’s time to move onto the frame of the glasses. Since the lenses are transparent, you can just select the radio button on the right side to Move so that it selects the entire object. *Side note, if you want to make the frame different colors, there are 5 areas you can individually select just as we did for the lenses, but leaving the texture in the “blank” option. You can experiment with the various system textures as well, as long as you’re using select face, so you don’t accidentally apply it over the lenses, as this will make them solid. But if you do make them solid, don’t fret and just repeat the previous steps. Playing around is fun, you can make custom looks, and it’s easy to always go back to blank if you don’t like a particular texture.
- Once you have the entire object selected, notice in the edit menu above the texture there is a white rectangle that says “Color” below it, this will load the Color Picker menu. I made an easy choice and it matched pretty well, I just chose the dark red from the boxes of common colors beneath the RGB window.
Once again in the Ydena All Gifts box, there is a folder named “Leonora Outfit,” and I added both of the earrings inside. I then customized them into the shiny gold that is visible in my pictures using the following steps:
- This time you can ignore the texture and leave it as is. I customized a color that was a fairly close match to my necklace and bracelet, using the RGB window. Consult the picture for the numbers I used and just input that into the appropriate spaces.
- Once you’ve done this, you can drag the main color square, which says ^Current Color^ underneath it, down over the bottom rows of quick colors and put it into one of the extra white boxes.
- Next, back in the main edit window, you’ll see 3 radio buttons next to the texture box. Ignore the first 2, and click the 3rd that says Shininess. This is the specular menu. Click the drop box that appears and choose Medium.
- When you edit the second earring you’ll just click to open the color menu, and choose the color you saved in the rows on the RGB window. Then repeat step 3 on to increase the shine.
The Necklace and Bracelet
I’m wearing a set I found in the Jewelry Section, the “[[ Masoom ]] Alia Necklace Unrigged GOLD.” The basic thing that you need to know about unrigged items, is that you can resize them and change where they are positioned on your body. If it fits well right out of the box you don’t need to do anything. I needed to do both, so I’ll give a quick rundown of this process. There are two methods to resize this set, the first is that you may “touch” this item, and because it has a resize script, a menu will appear for you. You can increase or decrease the size in percentages until you get it right. I, however, prefer to use the “Stretch” option via the edit menu and using the white boxes that appear around the object, resize it manually. The “Stretch” option is located in the radio button section on the top left side of the menu. If you do this make sure that the “Stretch Both Sides” option is checked on the left side of the menu, as well as you being on a pose stand. Unchecking the “Show Highlight” box will make this easier to see just exactly how it’s fitting you. While not in this particular object, but if you have stretch boxes that are red, blue, or green, they can make an item thicker or thinner in any direction depending on which arrow you chose. Just something to note for later, or if you’re trying this process with a different item.
You also may have to move the necklace to a better fitting area of your neck or wrist for your bracelet. To move the object, you simply check the “Move” radio button, and use your mouse to drag the arrows, selecting either the head or the tail of it, in the direction you want it to move, a different color for each direction, red for the X-axis, green for the Y, and blue for the Z-axis. You may have to go back and forth between stretching and moving an unrigged item to get a perfect fit.
That’s it, that’s my outfit for my second Free Dove Challenge. I hope I have taught you that even though The Free Dove is just chock full of wonderful gifts, there are some special things that you can do to always have a perfect match, or inspire your creativity to make your own design by adding texture and/or color. You’ll need to be a member of The Free Dove group to snag these gifts, but The Free Dove group is free to join! As is my usual habit, I’ll end with 3 more pictures of me doing various things in the outfit, so that it can ‘come to life’ so to speak, and show you different angles and posing.
Hair: Rezology “Boon”- @ The Free Dove – group gift/group FREE to join.
Skin: Avi-Glam “AG. Anna Skin (T1, black eyebrows, cleavage)” @ The Free Dove – group gift/group FREE to join.
Eyelashes: Dulce Secrets “::DS Mesh Eyelashes” in box “Dulce Secrets 2017 Free Dove Collection @ The Free Dove – group gift/group FREE to join.
Eyeshadow: Dulce Secrets “::DS:: Noble Hyssop Eyeshadow” in box “Dulce Secrets 2017 Free Dove Collection @ The Free Dove – group gift/group FREE to join.
Blush: Dulce Secrets: “::DS:: Cherry Cute Blush” in box “Dulce Secrets 2017 Free Dove Collection @ The Free Dove – group gift/group FREE to join.
Lips: Dulce Secrets: “::DS:: Brass Kissable Lips Tattoo” in box “Dulce Secrets 2017 Free Dove Collection @ The Free Dove – group gift/group FREE to join.
Clothing: Marquesse “Malma Outfit” @ The Free Dove – group gift/group FREE to join
Shoes: Mutiny in Heaven “!MiH Shoes for The Free Dove” @ The Free Dove – group gift/group FREE to join
Glasses: Ydea “White Sunglasses” in box “Ydena All gifts”@ The Free Dove – group gift/group FREE to join
Earrings: Leonora Earrings – in box “Ydea All Gifts” -“Leonora Outfit”@ The Free Dove – group gift/group FREE to join
Necklace: Masoom “[[ Masoom ]] Alia Necklace Unrigged GOLD” @ The Free Dove – group gift/group FREE to join
Bracelet: Masoom [ Masoom ]] Alia Bracelet Unrigged GOLD” @ The Free Dove – group gift/group FREE to join
Body: Slink Hourglass
Sim: Scene from Skybox -$60L Rentals Plus